Groups need to have a bank account in the name of the group. It is important for keeping track of your group’s money and making sure it does not get mixed up with individuals’ money. You also need a bank account in order to apply for grants, and should have one if you are collecting donations or fees.
Bank accounts for Community Groups
Most high street banks offer some kind of community group account, but it is important to make sure the account meets your group’s particular needs. Below are some bank accounts that are available for community groups. Please note, we are not recommending these over any others and banks may also decide to stop offering community accounts so do check with the bank/building society first.
- Waiting list of approximately 6 weeks for an appointment to open a new account
- Groups must have charitable aims and annual turnover of less than £100,000
- Maximum of 3 signatories
- Free banking
- Up to 6 debit cards and a chequebook
- Check eligibility on their website, then call 0800 515 462 to start your application
- Apply online
- You can manage the account over the counter at Natwest branches, by phone, online or on a mobile banking app.
- Cheque book, paying in book and debit card provided.
- Free banking for organisations with income under £100,000 per year.
Additional links and information will be added soon. Please let us know what else you’d like to see in this section.